Sign up here to receive an exclusive invite to our 9th birthday party!
Punch, the satirical magazine, was founded in 1841 at the Edinburgh Castle Tavern on the Strand. However as the entire magazine's staff began to meet at this pub, the proprietor changed its name from the Crown and Sugar Loaf to 'The Punch Tavern'.
Although there has been a pub on this site since the 17th century it was re-fitted by the famously big spending Baker Brothers in 1893-97. It was finished at the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, when she drove past on her way to St Paul's.
The extravagance starts with the glazed tiled entrance and continues inside with a barrel vaulted skylight, 10 6ft etched mirrors, banquette seating (you can tell that they are original as in those days we use to be 5ft tall), a marble bar, dark oak panelling, ornate fireplace and a series of original Punch & Judy themed paintings all painted in 1897. All of these original features survived the war and the pub is a now a Grade II listed building.
Nowadays we are an all-day pub bar and restaurant as well as catering for parties, events and local offices the pub is Owned & Managed since 2003 by Sunnil Panjabi... We provide well-cooked, fresh and traditional British comfort food in a very traditional setting.